Monday, September 26, 2011

Teaser Tuesday 27.9.2011










Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
The rules are:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two teaser sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers
Share the title and author too so that other Teaser Tuesday participients can add the book on their TBR lists, if they like your teasers!

After reading The Calcutta Chromosome by Amitav Ghosh I chose to read another book set in India: Leela's Book by Alice Albinia. With the elephant-headed god Ganesh as one of the narrators and a story inspired by the Mahabharata but set in modern day Delhi, this promises to be an interesting read!

My teaser is from p. 26. Ganesh has just entered the story as a narrator and wants to introduce himself:

"I am Ganesh, elephant-headed god, misshapen son of Lord Shiva and Parvati; beheaded by my father for protecting my mother's honour; abusively given this flippant elephant replacement; too-long-term resident of Kailash, that icy and unfriendly mountain where my family chose to live; befriended only by my faithful Rat (divine vahana, godly mode of transport). I freely admit that my sworn enemy is Vyasa, pedestrian composer of India's too-long epic, a poem called the Mahabharata, every word of which I wrote.
Even as a very young elephant, I could feel words building up inside me, pressing against the end of my trunk, fighting to get out - and all at once I would lose control, as a great trumpeting, ear-popping tirade came shooting out into the air to disturb the concentration of that self-obsessed meditation hillock they called Kailash."

No comments:

Post a Comment