Sunday, September 18, 2011

I'm Back with Some More Books from My Personal Library: J-L

















Well, I totally fell off the blogging wagon this time! It's been almost three months since I posted anything else than updates on my Books Read in 2011 -page. It was never my intention to go on a break, much less for three months and unannounced. Sorry about that, blogger buddies! When I wrote that Teaser Tuesday post back in June I had just started my summer holidays and was actually looking forward to more time for blogging! I ended up getting into kind of a reading slump. I started reading a 500+ page book in Swedish. Finland is a bilingual country and we learn the other official language (in my case Swedish) at school. I speak and write Swedish well enough, but my English is much better, and even though I occasionally read magazines in Swedish I don't very often attempt reading books in that language. This junkster, however, sounded interesting enough that I jumped to the task of tackling it in the original language, especially as it is not available either in Finnish or in English. And I was pleasently surprised as reading the book was much easier than I had thought, until I faced my usual problem with junksters -I got bored of reading the same book day after day and wanted to read something else instead. And then it took a while to find anything that really felt the right choice. Combine that with the fact that during my summer holidays I played tennis like crazy :), spent a week in my summer paradise in Slovenia :) :), and towards the end of my holidays also was back dancing after a three week holiday from practising -and that the weather was mostly lovely- and you hopefully understand why I did not spend much time in front of my laptop blogging.

But, somehow after a while it is so easy to fall off the practise of blogging and that happened to me. After the holidays I simply did not seem to ever have time to write a post. I did find that perfect read after some searching (actually a whole series of them, but more about that later), but still it seemed quite a big task to write about those reads. It was not that I did not want to blog or write about my reading I just simply never seamed to have enough time for that. In the spring I ofter blogged late at night, but that's not very wise if you have to be up at 6.30 next morning! So, now I'm trying to work up a better system for when to blog. Anyway, long story short, I'm back! :)

Here's a few more books from my bookshelves:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The first adult novel I ever read twice. My parents owned two different editions of Jane Eyre in Finnish and after reading one of them I wanted to see if the text was excactly the same in the other. It was. :) I was maybe ten or eleven at the time. I have since read the book also in English. Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorite novels, a book I know I will turn back to also in the future. The funny thing is, and those who have followed by blog for some time might remember this, while I love Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte I hate Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and have not been able, in spite of numerous tries, ever to finish WH.
As you can see from the photo I own a copy of The Great Novels of the Bronte Sisters which consists of Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights and Agnes Gray.

Kate. The Woman Who Was Katherine Hepburn by William J. Mann
I'm cheating a bit here. :) I wanted this series to be about books I own and have read. I have not read this biography of actress Katherine Hepburn, said even to be the definitive one, from cover to cover, just browsed it, but it was the only book in English that I seem to own the title of which starts with a K! Anyway, Katherine Hepburn (along with Lauren Bacall) is my favorite actress from the golden years of Hollywood. I own a bunch of her films on dvd and have watched them numerous times and I will also read this biography in the future. And it has been a dream of mine for years now to one day own a pair of tailor-made "Katherine Hepburn pants"! :) That woman had style!

Love Poems by Brian Patten
I bought this little volume in England all the way back in 1989. I did not know anything about Patten or his poetry, but I happened to browse the book in a bookstore and noticed one poem in particular that made quite an impression on me. It's called A Small Dragon and it's still one of my all time favorite poems. I'll leave you today with the poem and a promise that it will not take another three months for me to post again.

A Small Dragon by Brian Patten

I've found a small dragon in the woodshed.
Think it must have come from deep inside a forest
because it's damp and green and leaves
are still reflecting in its eyes.

I fed it many things, tried grass,
the roots of stars, hazel-nut and dandelion,
but it stared up at me as if to say, I need
food you can't provide.

It made a nest among the coal,
not unlike a bird's but larger,
it is out of place here
and is quite silent.

If you believed in it I would come
hurrying to your home to let you share my wonder,
but I want instead to see
if you yourself will pass this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment