Friday, April 20, 2012

A Tiny, Little Loot


I had a busy week at work with meetings, discussions with my staff and all kinds of back-office work. I love meeting our customers, but there was not much opporturnity for that this week. Next week will probably be even busier, but after that my calender looks emptier -at least for now. :)

After some quick reads (Northanger Abbey, The Dark Wife and My Name Is Bosnia) I decided to tackle a junkster that has been sitting on my bookself for a couple of years already: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. And boy, am I glad I finally started reading this one! I just love the writing! I'm almost 1/3 done and am hoping to be able to finish the book this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed! I have lots of other books waiting for their turn, including the three picture above. These three make up my tiny (thanks to the busy week) library loot:

After reading & loving The Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer I found this other retelling of the myth of Persephone. This time Hades goes to highschool. Abandon is the first part of a trilogy. It will be interesting to see how this compares to The Dark Wife. I imagine the books are totally different. We'll see how I'll like Abandon.

This one caught my eye on the new arrivals list in our library catalogue. It is said to be a "magical, moving and uplifting tale about a man's journey across Britain and into his own heart" and an "odyssey of a simple man, original, subtle and touching".  It sounds like a wonderful read.

This nonfiction book is subtitled "Why we tell stories". By using all kinds of examples from ancient myths to classic novels to TV soap operas this book is said to show that "there are seven archetypal themes which recur throughout every kind of storytelling". I don't promise that I'll read all 700+ pages of the tome, but I want to do some serious browsing with this one.

But now, I have a task to accomblish, a goal to reach, a junkster of a book to finish... :)

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment