Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Teaser Tuesday 13.7.2010
















Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by LizB of Should Be Reading.

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share 2 teaser sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • Be careful not to include spoilers.
  • Share the title and author, too, so that other Teaser Tuesday participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
I am, once again, reading several books. I just started Angels Beneath the Surface, which is a collection of contemporary Slovene short stories, first such collection published in English outside Slovenia since 1994. I will soon be travelling to Slovenia for a week's holiday and thought to finally read the book. It has sat on my bookself since last September. I'm also still reading Sapphistries -A Global History of Love between Women by Leila J. Rupp for the GLBT Challenge. Let's see if I am able to finish it before my trip. Middlemarch is still waiting in the wings. I started reading it in May, but have not picked it up for many weeks now. I am still optimistic, though, that I will finish it in time for Nymeth's readalong. The fourth, and last, book I'm reading at the moment is Blonde Roots by Bernardine Evaristo, quite an interesting tale of alternative history, where the transatlantic slave trade is reversed: Africans are the masters and Europeans the slaves. My teaser today is from p. 27 of Blonde Roots:
"Many of the market traders were immigrants from North Aphrika and the Lands of the Arabian Sands, some of whom had been instrumental in the slave trade -the Business. They came to Slavery HQ with the most impressive CVs detailing their brilliant horsemanship and exemplary skills at raiding villages and kidnapping Europane women and children into slavery."

What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment