Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New Acquisitions
















If there were 50% reduction from the already reduced prizes, could you resist buying one, two -or seven books form the sales? I could not. :) But never mind as the books were really cheap! This is what I bought:
  • Rosalind Belben: Our Horses in Egypt
    At the outbreak of WWI horses were requisitioned from their owners in Britain and sent with troops to various locations. Griselda Romnay's horse, Philomena, is sent with the yeomanry to Egypt and Palestine, but when the war ends many horses, Philomena included, are sold off locally. Griselda decides to travel to Egypt and bring her horse back home.
  • Emma Donoghue: Landing
    I read Donoghue's short story collection Touchy Subjects some years ago and liked it a lot. Ever since I have wanted to read more of her work. I actually have had The Sealed Letter in my TBR pile for some time now and now I'll add this book to the pile! This is a love story of two women that explores the questions "does where you live matter more tham whom you live with?" and "what would you give up for love, and would you be a fool to do so?"
  • Slavenka Drakulic: Frida's Bed
    I have thought of reading Drakulic many times. She is Croatian born writer of both fiction and non-fiction, who has written a lot about the Balkans and as some you might remember I am interested in novels about the Balkans. This book, however, is not about the Balkan reigon, but about Frida Kahlo.
  • Sarah Hall: The Carhullan Army
    This book was a possible Women Unbound Challenge read for me. I already had it from the library, but ended up reading something else instead. The novel is about a group of rebel women who have escaped the Authority's repressive regime. It is said to be " a haunting story of how far we will go to be free."
  • Sheridan Hay: The Secret of Lost Things
    A young Australian women arrives to New York with little else than her love of books and takes a job in a used book store. Soon someone is trying to locate a lost manuscript by Herman Melville. This is "a literary adventure and evocative portrait of a young woman making a life for herself in the city." And the cover photo (=lots of beautiful, old books) is lovely.
  • Lloyd Jones: Here at the End of the World We Learn to Dance
    This book first caught my eye because of its title. :) I'm a dancer and it is always nice to find novels that incorporate dancing into the story. This is a story set partly in New Zealand. Louise, Schmidt, and two local boys hide in a cave. The boys are afraid of being called up to war (WWI). Schmidt gives them tango lessons with devastating consequences. Years later in Argentina Schmidt's granddaughter captivates a young man with the same tango music.
  • Jude Morgan: The Taste of Sorrow
    I love Jane Eyre. I hate The Wuthering Heights. I find the lives of the Bronte sisters interesting. This is a novel about the Bronte family.

No comments:

Post a Comment