Friday, July 9, 2010

Library Loot 9.7.2010
















Library loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encouragers bloggers to share the books they have checked out from the library. If you would like to participate, Mr. Linky is over at Marg's blog The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader this week.

I'm on vacation at the moment and just before my summer vacation started I got into my head that now I would have time to read masses of books I've been thinking of reading :) and I was lucky enough to get quite a few of those books from the library. So, strictly speaking this should have been last week's library loot, but let's not be so strict. :) And thanks to my holiday head :) I also forgot a few of the books from the photo. Well, never mind...
  • Beryl Bainbridge: The Birthday Boys. This novel about Captain Scott's fatale expedition to Antarctica in 1912 will be my Antarctica book for the Reading the World Challenge. I had chosen this book for the challenge a long time ago and now that I finally borrowed it it unfortunately became very actual for the sad reason that Dame Beryl Bainbridge passed away just a few days ago.
  • Jorge Luis Borges: The Book of Imaginary Beings
    I'm thinking of reading this modern bestiary that includes such creatures as antelopes with six legs, the Cheshire cat, Cerberus, and sirens, not to mention the Hippogriff, fairies and elves, and the elephant that foretold the birth of the Buddha for the Reading the World Challenge as my South America book. I also have never before read anything by Borges and feel that I really should.
  • Julia Gregson: East of the Sun. Danielle over at A Work in Progress talked about this novel and I thought it sounded interesting. I was actually going to read Gregson's other novel first, but then my library had this one in & I decided to borrow this one first instead.
  • Baroness Orczy: The Scarlet Pimpernel. I like adventures set in Revolutionary France. I've seen the Scarlet Pimpernel TV-series twice and the 1934 movie starring Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon once. I think it is high time I read the book, too! :)
  • Bernardine Evaristo: Blonde Roots. In this story the transatlantic slave trade is reversed. The Africans are the masters and Europeans are their slaves. This seems to be a really interesting piece of alternative history! And I just realised that I might be able to use this book in The What's in a Name Challenge! I still haven't read my food book and in another context roots could also be something edible, so I think this novel qualifies.
  • Jamie Ford: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. A much reviewed book in the blogosphere. It sounds interesting. A story about fathers and sons and the fate of the Japanese in the US during the WWII.
  • Ali Shaw: The Girl with Glass Feet. Ida MacLaird is slowly turning into glass. I have read some praising rewievs of this magical tale. Let's see if I'll like it.
  • Betsy Tobin: Ice Land. Well, I just returned from Iceland a fortnight ago & wanted to read some fiction about the land. This is a historical novel about a forbidden love with some fantasy elements as Tobin uses the world of Norse mythology to great effect in the book. I'm reading Ice Land at the moment and enjoying it very much.
  • Thrity Umrigar: The Space Between Us. Set in modern-day India this novel tells the story of an upper-middle-class housewife and her illiterate servant. It is said to be "a powerful and perceptive literary masterwork" that tells us "how the lives of the rich and poor are intrinsically connected yet vastly removed from each other, and how the strong bonds of womanhood are eternally opposed by the divisions of class and culture."
We are enjoying a heat wave at the moment and long may it continue! :) Ice Land by Tobin is the perfect read today also because of its name! Some ice would be nice just now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment