Sunday, January 30, 2011

Going Crazy at the Book Sales Part 2

















Here's the second batch of books I bought at the sales. Part three will hopefully follow shortly. If you have read any of these books, it would be nice to know, what you thought of them.

Stephanie Barron: The White Garden
Sixty years after Virginia Woolf's suicide landscape designer Jo Bellamy arrives to Cissinghurst Castle to study the famous White Garden created by Woolf's lover Vita Sackville-West. While there Jo makes a stunning discovery. She finds Virginia Woolf's last diary and the first entry in the diary is dated the day after Woolf killed herself! This sounds very interesting. I hope to read this novel very soon.

Gail Carriger: Soulless
This book actually was not on sale, but I bought it at the same time as my sales loot. I have been looking for interesting steampunk novels to read as I'm participating in the Steampunk Challenge. I did make a short list of five novels earlier, but I have a feeling there might be some books I missed that would suit me better than some of those on my list. I first saw Carriger's Alexia Tarabotti novels in a book store at the Madrid airport, but restrained from buying any there. (You see, I do have some selfcontrol sometimes! :)).
Alexia is a Victorian spinster without a soul and when she accidentaly kills a vampire Queen Victoria sends Lord Maccoon, a werewolf, to investigate. This seems like a really funny read.

Lucy Dillon: The Ballroom Class
This is a story of three couples who join a ballroom dancing class. I've been eyeing this book for a long time. It's the ballroom dancing part that interests me, but I'm not quite sure if it otherwise is a book for me. I hope I'll be proven wrong.

Katie Hickman: The Aviary Gate
Sixteenth-century Constantinople, the Topkapi harem, and English merchant looking for his lost love... This historical novel sounds very promising.

Alyson Noël: Radience
This was another book not in fact on sale, but bought at the same time as the sales loot. Radiance is a YA novel. The story is told by Riley, a dead girl who is "just settling into a nice, relaxing death", when she learns that afterlife is not quite what she expected. Instead of eternity of leisure she is assigned a job as a Soul Catcher and sent back to earth to try and get a ghost stop hunting an English castle and move on to the afterlife. This is the first book on a series about Riley and her curious teacher Bodhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment