Thursday, September 9, 2010

R.I.P V Challenge


















During the little over a year I've been book blogging (and I just realised I totally forgot my first book blogoversary back in June!! Oh well, let's celebrate all the more next summer. :)) I remember seeing numerous posts praising Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings' Readers Imbibing Peril challenges. As I don't celebrate Halloween and ghost stories are a bit outside of my comfort zone (yes, I know, it's not just about ghost stories:)) I had thought that maybe I should just concentrate on those challenges I committed myself in the beginning of the year, but... Everybody seems to love Carl's challenge and all those lovely lists of books exactly outside of my comfort zone made me rethink. So, this will be my first time taking part in the R.I.P Challenge. And may I say at once that I love, love, love the challenge banners by Jennifer Gordon. Her art is just amazing!

I'll join both short story peril and peril the third. I'll try and post regularly about the short stories I will read for the challenge. I'm thinking of deciding on a day or days of the week and keep posting on those days especially about this challenge. I will also try to read one novel that qualifies for this challenge.

Here's a short list of possible R.I.P reads:

For short story peril:
  • The Dedalus Book of Finnish Fantasy
    A collection of short stories and extracts from longer texts. 
  • The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton
    I've read some of these & liked them. Could read some more.
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: from Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Pears
    Elizabeth Gaskell! A must read!
For peril the third:
  • Alan Bradley: The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag
    Have read sooo much about Bradley's books in various book blogs! Unfortunately our library doesn't have the first book in the series.
  • Wilkie Collins: The Woman in White
    This would be a reread, but the first time in original language. This book made a huge impact on me when I read it as a teenager.
  • Helen Grant: The Vanishing of Katharina Linden
    I've read about this one, too. Sounds interesting.
  • Elizabeth Peters: Tomb of the Golden Bird
    Amelia Peabody, Egypt, humorous gothic, and I hope The Master Criminal will make an appearence! What more could one want!
  • Philip Sington: The Einstein Girl
    Mystery set in the 1930s.
I'll start with a short story post either tomorrow or on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment