Sunday, September 19, 2010

Library Loot 19.9.2010

















Library loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire and Marg that encouragers bloggers to share the books they have checked out from the library. If you would like to participate, Mr. Linky is over at Claire's blog The Captive Reader this week. 

I'm sorry to have skipped my planned schedule for R.I.P posts. On Thursday I started reading Room by Emma Donoghue and it kept me in its grip so totally that I forgot all about ghost stories. Then on Friday I bought a new ADSL modem. The deal included also a new digibox, so that I will not only to get my TV channels through the modem, but will be able to manage anything I want to record for later from any computer anywhere. I'm using the new modem already, but have some problems with getting my DVD-recorder to work with the new digibox, so am waiting for some help with that. However, all that was actually only a prequal for this: yesterday I finally, after pondering about it for months, went and bought myself a mini laptop! My old computer, which I'm actually using now writing this, is not a laptop and I've been dreaming of a small laptop that would be easy to take with me when I travel. And I'm super happy with the one I chose. It's small, it has everything I need in a travelling laptop, -and it's berry pink! :) It's a Sony Vaio and I think it was love at first sight! :) :)

Well, excuse me my enthusiasm! :) I'll turn back to books now. I have, in fact, found all too many interesting books lately and reserved many of them from the library. Hovever, as so often happens, somehow the books seem to arrive in groups. On Monday I came home from work with a few holds that had arrived. Then two more arrived on Thursday and three more on Friday! These are the books in English (I also got two new Finnish novels I had put on hold, but will not talk more about those this time.) I got from the library this week:
  • Emma Donoghue: Room
    Fiction. The Booker Prize Short List. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G book. I'm reading Room just now.
  • Brian Dumaine: The Plot to Save the Planet. How Visionary Entrepreneurs and Corporate Titans Are Creating Real Solutions to Global Warming
    Nonfiction. Found this on Helsinki City Library's online list of new nonfiction books in English & it sounded interesting.
  • Andrew Fagan: The Atlas of Human Rights. Mapping Violations of Freedom Around the Globe.
    Nonfiction. I'm very much interested in human rights, especially issues like freedom of speech, women's rights, GLBT rights, and anything done to end discrimination and sensorship in general. This slim book seems to give quite a good general view of the state of the human rights around the globe.
  • Howard Jacobson: The Finkler Question.
    Fiction. One of the Man Booker Prize Short listed novels this year & first of the Booker candidates I got my hands on. I have, however, waited for weeks and weeks to read Room, so this must wait a bit for it's turn.
  • Panos Karnezis: The Convent. <- This link takes you to a review of The Convent by Ursula Le Guin.
    Fiction. For a liberal minded Lutheran I have always been unusually interested in anything to do with Catholic religious orders. I've more or less read everything I've ever got my hands on on the subject be it then fiction or non. This novel is set in a small Spanish convent where one day the Mother Superior finds a suitcase punctured with airholes at the entrance to the retreat. I'm very intrigued by this book.
  • Aiko Kitahara: The Budding Tree. Six Stories of Love in Edo.
    Fiction. These are stories about single, working women in the Japanese Edo period. The Edo period in Japanese history runs from 1603 to 1868, but according to the back cover of the book, these stories are set in the early-to-mid-19th-century Japan. 
  • C. J. Moore: The Untranslatables. The Most Intriguing Words from Around the World.
    Nonfiction. And the title says it all! :) It includes some gems from my own mother tongue, too , but more about those later.
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories from Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce.
    Fiction. This is for the R.I.P. Challenge.
  • Fiona Shaw: Tell It to The Bees.
    Fiction. This is for the GLBT Challenge, a love story between a mother of a small boy and the local doctor, who happens to be a woman. The setting is 1950s. Looks very promising!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to playing with my new berry pink toy! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment