Monday, March 29, 2010

GLBT Mini-Challenge 3: Graphic Novels

I do not read graphic novels in any way regularly, but every now and then a GN catches my eye in the library and I end up borrowing it. Most often I enjoy my graphic reads. When I realised that the March mini-challenge over at the Challenge That Dare Not Speak Its Name aka the GLBT Challenge was graphic novels I was somewhat at a loss. I knew about Alison Bechdel's graphic novels, had even read two of them, but that was it. My knowledge of GLBT graphic novels was very limited, to say the least. And even though I had loved Bechdel's books I wanted to read something else this time. Thanks to the wonderful lists available at the GLBT Challenge page I found out that Neil Gaiman had written a GN with a lesbian couple as main characters. I have not read a lot of Gaiman, but ever since I heard him speak at the Finncon here in Helsinki in 2000 I have been interested in his work. Luckily, my library had the graphic novel in question.

Death: The Time of Your Life tells about Foxglove, a successful young singer with a girlfriend Hazel, who for the outside world is her secretary. Foxglove wants to come out and finally her manager Larry agrees to it, but then he dies. This far the story seems more or less realistic, but now it moves to more mythical and magical dimensions. Larry appears to Foxglove after his death and makes her promise that even if Hazel says something that sounds grazy, Foxglove should listen to her. Well, I think I shall leave telling the plot here. ;) I'll just say that something has happened to Foxglove and Hazel's little baby boy and that Death is a gorgeous goth girl who loves everybody!

I really liked this graphic novel. The story was gripping and the illustrations were beautiful. An added bonus was a foreword by Claire Danes, one of my favorite actresses. She, by the way, stars in Stardust, a film based on Gaiman's book with the same name. Hmm, maybe I should watch that film again... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment