Monday, March 1, 2010

February Wrap Up & What I'm Reading Now















During the shortest month I still managed to finish eight books. Here's the wrap up:

Books read: 8
Books read in English: 7
Books read in Finnish: 1
Books by Finnish writers read: 1
Fiction: 7
Nonfiction: 1
Books reviewed: 4

Books read in 2010: 19

List of books read in February with links to my reviews:

-Ebershoff, David: The 19th Wife
-Langley-Hawthorne, Clare: Consequences of Sin
-Mahfouz, Naguib: Before the Throne: Dialogs with Egypt's Great from Menes to Anwar Sadat
-Taylor, Marianne: The Nature Book: What It Is and How It Lives
-Åsbacka, Robert: Urkujenrakentaja (originally written in Swedish, the author is a Swedish speaking Finn)

The most memorable of the books I read in February were no doubt The 19th Wife which I found really interesting and Two Women which ended up being a simply amazing story. Urkujenrakentaja, a lovely story of a solitary old man and the goodness of neighbours, was a close third in the most memorable list. And if anyone wants to read a funny little book about nature, Marianne Taylor's The Nature Book is the one for you.

At the moment I have so many books waiting for their turn that I hardly know where to start. I'm over halfway through The First Man-Made Man by Pagan Kennedy which is the story of Laura, later Michael, Dillon, the first known case of female to male sex change  which I'm reading for the GLBT Challenge. I have also read about 150 pages of John Dickinson's first adult novel The Lightstep, a historical epic set in a small German state in 1797. And I've started reading The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova, The Book of Saladin by Tariq Ali, and Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou. The last of the three I'm reading for the Women Unbound Challenge and Ali's book will probably qualify for the World Religion Challenge. For one of my book clubs I'm reading Sefarad by Antonio Muños Molina. Soon I have to choose and concentrate on a couple of these otherwise I will not be able to finish them, at least not in time (book club meeting, due dates -and more lovely books waiting in the wings! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment