Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Picture of Dorian Gray
















The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde's only published novel, is a book loved by many. I had tought of reading it many times along the years, but somehow just never managed to get to it. Then finally I bougth a pretty, little Penguin Classics edition of my own. Still it took me months to actually read the book. I'm very glad I finally did.

I knew the general idea of the book before reading it. The man would stay young while his portrait would age. But other than that I did not quite know what to except. I reasoned that this could not be a humorous story full of that famous wit of Oscar Wilde. Actually I was wrong. Actually the book was very different from any of my expectations! There was, maybe not humour, this was surely not that kind of a book, but wittiness and great charm, and also degradation and pure evilness. I found The Picture of Dorian Gray to be a multifaceted story that simply cries for a reread.

I will count The Story of Dorian Gray as one of the books read for the GLBT Challenge because of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment