Monday, August 17, 2009

Chapter 11: Mailbox Monday 17.8.2009

Mailbox Monday is a weekly event hosted by Marcia of The Printed Page. Last week my book collection was increased by five new purchases:
  • The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt. I've had this book in my shopping list for a while and finally got it on Friday. I'm very much looking forward to reading it. I'm basically interested in all and every book about the Victorian or Edwardian times, and this one is by Byatt, so I'm expecting a great read!
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I've never read this classic, and I thought it was high time to purchase a copy. After reading Lady Windermere's Fan for the 9 for 2009 challenge, I'm very much a fan of Wilde. And isn't this a beautiful edition! Black and white cloth cover, very stylish, plus there is an appendix including some contemporary reviews, which I think will be very interesting to read.
  • All three books of The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I finally gave up! :) Everybody, and I mean everybody all around, is talking about Larsson's books, and I have not read even the first one. I had intended to borrow them from the library later (at the moment the queues for the Finnish translations are quite long, and I'd rather read these in Finnish), but The Academic Bookstore had the whole series at such a good price I could not resist. :)
    Maybe you don't know, but the whole series is being made into film! The first movie has already been in the theatres in the Nordic countries, the second one will be very soon. The first two of my paperbacks have in fact movie covers. You'll get to see what Mikael Blomqvist and Lisbeth Salander look like in the movies. Here's two links to some info in English about the film adaptations (The first link includes some trailers):

No comments:

Post a Comment