Saturday, January 26, 2013

Library Loot 26.1.2013

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!
 
I was not going to write a Library Loot post this week, as I tried really hard not to borrow anything, or almost anything, from the library. I already have more than enough library books at the moment and am afraid I will not have the time to read them all. Well, my plan not to borrow anything worked pretty well until Friday afternoon.:) On Friday at work I spent some time moving books from the so called circulating collection to our collection and there happened to be a number of English language travel books there that made great additions to our travel book section. Only they seemed so interesting that I could not help myself and borrowed a few. :) So, here I am writing about my library loot after all.

Books I got from the library this week:

Ash, Niema: Touching Tibet. A Journey into This Forbidden Kingdom
Ash was one of the first to enter Tibet when its borders were opened to Westeners in 1986. In this personal account she tells about her travels and the people, culture and traditions of Tibet. The foreword is by The Dalai Lama.

Bennett, Joe: A Land of Two Halves. An Accidental Tour of New Zealand
Joe Bennett went to New Zealand to work there for a year and ended up staying. After 15 years he decided to find out what it was about New Zealand that made him stay and embarks on a roundtrip of his adopted country. I would love to visit New Zealand (and Australia) some day and this book promises to be a funny, witty and cool account of that country quite in the opposite side of the world from mine.

Cooper, Candie: Necklaceology. How to Make Chokers, Lariats, Ropes & More
Lovely book wíth detailed instructions I'm sure even the not so experienced jewellery makers are able to follow. The book includes 40 necklace projects made from very varied materials: beads, stones, felt, ribbons etc.

Duffy, Carol Ann: The Bees
A wonderful book of poetry by the British Poet Laureate. I already read this and now have one new poem to add to my all time favorites: Bees, the very first poem in this collection!

Mole, John: It's All Greek to Me!
This is the story of one Englishman's love affair with Greece and how the Mole family's dream to live in a Greek village made them purchase "a tumbledown ruin on a hillside with no water, no electricity, no roof, no floor, no doors, no windows and twenty years of goat dung".

Shipman, Pat: To the Heart of the Nile
This is the extraordinary story of Florence Baker née Szász, who was born in 1845 in Hungary, ended up on a refugee camp in the Ottoman Empire after the Hungarian revolution, was sold to be raised in a harem, escaped, married Samuel Baker, an eminent English adventurer, and travelled to Egypt and Uganda with her husband.

Free e-books I  downloaded this week:

Gillgannon, Mary: Lady of the Moon
This is the first part of a fantasy trilogy set in the time of Boudica's revolt in Celtic Britain.

Rose, Willow: Beyond
Megan dies at 16 and wakes up on a flying steamship that takes her to a school run by angels. Later she ends up back on Earth and has to decide between her two worlds. I have read hardly any paranormal romances and thought I might try this one.

Rose, Willow: Serenity
Megan's story continues in this second part of the Afterlife series.

Saboe, Jon: The Days of Peleg
"Scifi plot set in Ancient Mesopotamia." How could I resist that!

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll curl up with Virginia and let myself be caressed with the beauty of her words. ;) (I'm rereading Mrs. Dalloway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment