Sunday, May 1, 2011

Library Loot 1.5.2011


















I did pretty well with the previous library loot I posted about. Only one book went back to the library unread, so, here's hoping that this one is going to be another good loot! Four out of six of the books are in fact novels I have had my eye on for quite some time and decided on finally borrowing, two (the two first ones from left in the picture above) were surprise finds. I'm pretty excited about all these books and cannot wait to get reading them. If only there were more hours in a day...

Mercy at Midnight by Lois Hoadley Dick
This is a historical novel about Mathilda Wrede (1864-1928). She was a Finnish noblewoman, who become a prison visitor and dedicated her life to helping prisoners and improving the conditions in prisons. It is always interesting to read a novel about Finland or about someone Finnish by a non-Finnish author. Yes, we Finns are always curious about what others think about us! :)

Ravel by Jean Echenoz
This small book by the reknown French author tells the story of the ten last years (1927-1937) in the life of composer Maurice Ravel. I already read this one and it's wonderful! This was the first book by Echenoz I've read and I simply loved his style.

The Night of the Mi'raj by Zoƫ Ferraris
I have read so much good things about this book and also about her next one City of Veils that it's high time I borrowed this one. I actually had City of Veils at home earlier this year, but decided that I want to read The Night of the Mi'raj (Published as Finding Nouf in the US) first. Both Ferraris' books are murder mysteries set in Saudi Arabia.

Electricity by Victoria Glendinning
This is a novel set in Victorian England. Electricity is still something new. Charlotte Mortimer marries a young engineer who is commissioned to wire the country estate of a gentleman. This novel is said to bring to light "the Victorian era as a time of scientific discovery, spiritualism, and shifting relations between the sexes." Sounds interesting!

Stamping Butterflies by Jon Courtenay Grimwood
If there is somewhat of a theme when it comes to all other books in my loot (women's place, women's rights or if not that then historical fiction) Stamping Butterflies is something completely else. Grimwood is one of my favorite SF writers. I've especially enjoyed his Pashazade-Effendi-Felaheen -trilogy. I guess I'm a sucker for a well crafted alternate history story anyday and his worlds are brilliantly crafted. Stamping Butterflies starts with someone attempting to assassinate the US president. The assassin is caught, but who is he? Is the answer perhaps to be found somewhere else in time altogether? This novel is said to weave together cultures thousands of years apart and to paint a portrait of a ruler and an assassin, both locked inside each other's dreams. Very intriguing!

Half of the Human Race by Anthony Quinn
Connie Callaway is torn between whether to stay with the law-abiding suffragists or join the militant suffragettes when during a family holiday she is introduced to cricketeer Will Maitland. This is said to be a "deeply affecting story of love, sacrifice, suffrage and country cricket" set in the second decade of the 20th century. The time period and the fact that Connie is working for women's suffrage got me interested in this novel. I almost bought myself a copy, but then noticed that our library has one, so borrowed it instead. I have very high expectations for this novel, so we'll see whether it lives up to them or not.

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire of The Captive Reader and Marg of The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader. If you want to join Library Loot, Mr. Linky is at Claire's blog this week, just click here to get right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment