Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Empress of the World




















My second read for the GLBT Challenge and my first one for the What's in a Name? 3 was Empress of the World by Sara Ryan. Empress of the World is a YA novel about a group of students attending the Siegel Institute Summer Program for Gifted Youth. The narrator is Nicola (Nic) Lancaster, who plays the viola, draws, and works in theatre productions. She wants to become an archeologist and has come to the Siegel Institute to study archeology. Right in the beginning of the summer programme Nic, who has never had "friend friends" only theatre friends or orchestra friends, befriends some fellow students, among them Battle Hall Davies, a beautiful dancer, who seems to be everything Nic is not. The friendship between Nic and Battle grows and they soon move from being friends to being girlfriends.

I wanted to read this book especially for the GLBT Challenge (but it did not hurt that it also fits into the title category of What's in a name? 3 Challenge :)), as I had read quite a few very positive reviews about it. And I see why so many people have loved this book. The story felt very real. The subject matter, teenage same sex relationship, is important. It is essential that young persons whether they are GLBT or straight or wondering about their sexuality have books like Empress of the World to read and fictional characters like Nic and Battle to identify with. But...

I loved How Beautiful the Ordinary, I did not love Empress of the World. It was ok, and as I said, I do see its merits. I guess, I'm simply too old for this book. :) It felt too teenagey for me, but I would recommend it for all my heart to anyone in or closer to their teens than I am!

Sara Ryan has also written a companion book to Empress of the World, The Rules for Hearts, which follows Battle's life four years after the summer at the Siegel Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment