Monday, November 23, 2009

Chapter 29: Mailbox Monday 23.11.2009

















Mailbox Monday is a weekly event hosted by Marcia of The Printed Page.

I've been trying to cut down on buying books lately, as I really should do more reading of books instead of buying them! I simply have too many books I still haven't read in my bookshelves. To be honest I have too many books. Period. Or could one ever really own too many books? My books fall roughly into two categories: those I read once and will give away and those that are for keeps. But still, the shelves (we will not mentions the cupboards filled with books here, no we will not...) are starting to be pretty much filled to the capacity.

So, I have a confession to make: I should not, but I did: four books entered my collection lately. Yes, I know, maybe I should have started this post with "Hello, my name is Tiina, and I am a bookaholic."

The new additions are:

1. This very cute copy of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë I found in a library's book swap trolley. Many of our libraries have these trolleys, boxes, or shelves, where you can bring any of your books you want to give away and/or take any books you like from it.

2.
Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen is a first in a mystery series featuring Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie Rannoch, 34th in line for the British throne. The book is set in 1932 and seems to be just such a humorous, historical mystery that I enjoy reading every once in a while.

3. I love Art Noveau, or Jugend, as we call it here. I love the design, the fashion, the architecture. It would be a dream come to true to be able to afford an apartment in a Jugend style building in downtown Helsinki. (Well, a girl can dream, can't she? :)) Anyway, I own a small collection of books about Art Noveau/Jugend and the latest addition is this one by Camilla de la Bedyore. A small book, but a good collection of pictures.

4. I have lately had an urge to visit some antiquarian bookshops. I guess, in a weird way it goes with my decision to buy less books. My brain intepreted the decision somewhat warpedly as "buy second hand, you'll get more books with the same amount of money!" ;) Well, I did visit the
best antiquarian book store in town yesterday, but it was almost closing time so (luckily) I did not have much time to browse. I did end up buing this old book form 1967, though. It is a study about how the Finnish women used their right to vote and stand for parliament during the first decade of universal suffrage in Finland. Only later did I realize that the copy I bought is actually signed by the author!


What was your mailbox like this past week?

No comments:

Post a Comment