Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chapter 19: Library Loot

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

This week Mr. Linky is up at Eva's site.

I haven't done a library loot post for a while, not because I had not borrowed any books (Hello!? I work in a library. It is a work related disease ;) to borrow lots of books.), but because most weeks I have been rather busy with other things towards the end of the week. Actually, I have not had enough time to read as much as I've wanted to, but I'm planning on doing some catching up on that respect tomorrow. I have been reading The Incredible Human Journey which is really interesting. And I finally decided on which novel to read next: The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing. I've been wanting to read Lessing for ages now, but somehow have never got around to it. One of my reading groups chose The Grass Is Singing as their next read, so now it's kind of "compulsory reading" for me. I've read the four first chapters now and really enjoy her writing.

















But, let's go to the loot now! In addition to Lessing, my pile contains:
  • The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa. I read The Housekeeper and The Professor earlier this year and really enjoyed it. So, I'm hoping this collection of three novellas will also be a good read.
  • Ann Veronica by H. G. Wells. This is a story about a young woman, who wants to be "a Person" in turn-of-the-century London. On her quest to be her own woman she encounters Fabians, suffragettes, free love. I'm more familiar with Wells' science fiction books, but it will be intersting to read one of his other novels.
  • The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton. Inspired by the RIP IV-challenge, I borrowed this collection eventhough I'm not participating in the challenge. To be honest, ghost stories and horror are not really my thing, but I like Edith Wharton, and I have read at least one or two of her ghost stories before, so I thought to read at least a few more. Maybe I could be a kind of supporting member of the challenge. ;)
  • Women on Their Own. Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Being Single. Edited by Rudolph M. Bell & Virginia Yans. This is a collection of essays, mostly about single women in the 19th-century.
  • Marsipaania. Slovenialaista nykyrunoutta. Translated & edited by Kari Klemelä & Jouni Inkala.This is a brand new collection of contemporary Slovenian poetry translated into Finnish. I already read this and loved some of the poems very much.
  • Säkeitä Pietarista by Johanna Hulkko. This is a new Finnish writer. The title of the book could be translated as Verses from St. Petersburg and the story seems very interesting, and I really, really should read more Finnish authors!
  • The Novel in the Victorian Age by Robin Gilmour. I want to read what he says about Elizabeth Gaskell, the Brontë sisters, and Wilkie Collins.
  • Lodgers by Nenad Velickovic. Found another novel about the Balkan wars. This one was actually originally published during the siege of Sarajevo.
  • Summer Will Show by Sylvia Townsend Warner. I read about this novel in, hmm, The New York Review of Books it was, if I remember correctly, and it sounded interesting. It is a story set in Paris in 1848, where Sophia, joining her enstranged husband after the death of her children, falls in love with her husband's mistress. Summer Will Show was first published in 1936.
That concludes my library loot this week. Happy reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment