Friday, July 10, 2009

Chapter 5: Library Loot 10.7.2009

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they've checked out from the library that week. This is the first time I participate. :)

If you have read my profile or the
Prologue on my blog, you already know that I work in a library. I also borrow a lot of books. Just now I have 40 items on my card which is actually the maximum number possible. Have to go and return some of those loans tomorrow...

Usually I borrow most of my books from the library where I work, but while I'm on vacation, like now, I mostly use one of our large branch libraries. I had put some books on hold for the
War Through the Generations challenge earlier and got three of those yesterday. They are:


  • Crabwalk by Günter Grass: A novel examining a subject long seen as a taboo: the sufferings of Germans during the WWII. Grass does this by exploring a devastating maritime disaster, the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff, and the repercussions upon three generations of a German family.
  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay: A story of sisterly love. Young Sarah and her parents are taken when in 1942 the French police arrest Jewish families. Sarah locks her little brother in a bedroom cupboard to save him. In 2002 Julia Jarmond, a journalist, is investigating the round-ups of 1942 & Sarah's story intertwines with hers.
  • Chronicle in Stone by Ismail Kadare: A novel about Albania during WWII narrated through the eyes of a highly imaginative child.
In addition to these three novels I also got another book I had on hold:


  • The Gardens of The Vatican by Linda Kooluris Dobbs & Kildare Dobbs: A beautiful book of photography portraying the Vatican gardens.
I also found two other books to borrow:
  • Hautuukoti by Alison Bechdel: This is the Finnish translation of her autobiographical graphic novel Fun Home. I've read some great reviews about this book, so thought to take a look.
  • My Mistress's Sparrow is dead ed. by Jeffrey Eugenides: A collection of short stories that I've been thinking of reading for some time now.
That was my loot this time. Did you visit your local library this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment